2002-10-02 - 10:58 a.m.
100 Things About Me
1. Turning 30 didn’t scare me. Neither does turning 31.
2. The photo on my new passport is actually decent.
3. I quit working so that I could get a Master’s degree – in History.
4. It only took me 29 years to find what I love.
5. I am still figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.
6. I have had the same best friend for almost 22 years.
7. Not only are my parents still married, but also they are my models for the kind of relationship I want.
8. Indian Elephants are my favorite animals.
9. Ganesha is my favorite Hindu God. I have several Ganesha statuettes in my house. Good fortune and new beginnings are a good thing.
10. My kitchen is decorated with chili peppers.
11. My bathroom is decorated in rubber ducks.
12. I like Turkish pop music.
13. I dream of filling my passport with stamps before it expires.
14. I am going to get a Ph.D. – someday.
15. Once I get my Ph.D., I will make every person I know call me Dr. Aravis – at least on graduation day!
16. I dream about men who died almost 700 years ago.
17. If I could be a professional student, I would.
18. I watch Buffy every week.
19. I have 3 cats – they totally rule my life.
20. I have 2 TV’s – in a one-bedroom apartment. Both of them are hooked up to cable.
21. I am terrible at returning library books on time.
22. I am even worse about renting movies – so I don’t. It is cheaper for me to buy them.
23. Touch Typing was the best class I took in high school. I know that I can always get a job and survive because I am a fast typist and have a nice phone voice. Mrs. C. gave me a survival skill by teaching me to type.
24. I love reading Chaucer – in Middle English.
25. Because I am an only child, I have chosen siblings for myself. Strangely – both of them are brothers.
26. I moved across the country to finish my Bachelor’s degree (from Southern California to Boston).
27. Emerson College was a tremendous experience for me. I loved it.
28. I was not interested in achieving academic excellence until I reached college – I graduated with honors. After graduation I visited my high school guidance counselor – she was amazed that I had finally decided to “live up to my potential.”
29. I never ditched a class until I had my driver’s license.
30. I love to belly dance.
31. I believe in the idea of leaving something to the imagination.
32. I am a princess and deserve to be treated as one.
33. Right now I rent, but I dream of buying.
34. After the failure of so many major corporations, I am a firm believer in diversification in investing. I want my retirement money to be mine!
35. I am proud of being able to not only set goals, but reach them.
36. I do not believe it is bad to be ambitious.
37. I have very long hair – when it gets to be hip length I am going to donate a minimum of 14 inches to charity.
38. I give blood every time I am eligible.
39. I love fresh brewed coffee. I drink it black.
40. I hate mushrooms. There is no gray area for me with mushrooms they are evil.
41. I won’t eat a raw tomato. But I love them cooked.
42. I like to cook, but my kitchen is too small for extravagant cooking.
43. I love to bake bread. There is something very satisfying about the process. Kneading is fun, punching the bread down is even better.
44. I like to talk. A lot. My grade school report cards confirm this. Apparently I liked visiting with my neighbors so much that I would keep them from completing their work.
45. I have kept paper journals with semi-regularity since I was in grade school.
46. When I was in kindergarten, I wanted to be in the CIA when I grew up.
47. Dan Rather is my favorite news anchor – always has been, always will be.
48. I love to read. I don’t think I have gone a day without reading since I was 5.
49. I am enamored of the idea that to be able to read is to be able to see.
50. I think I could live in Istanbul and be very happy.
51. My apartment has a ghost. Most of the places I have lived have had a ghost.
52. I am beginning to get the hang of living alone again.
53. Dating makes me uncomfortable.
54. No matter what, the cup is always half full.
55. People are born good. I refuse to believe that a baby could be born bad.
56. I don’t know if I want to have children. I don’t know if I could live with myself if I didn’t raise a child.
57. I am a messy person. I have a cluttered life, but an organized mind.
58. I battle daily with my weight.
59. I love to dance.
60. I took a tango class once; I would love to take one again.
61. Candles and incense help me stay centered.
62. I am finding myself again – for awhile there I was lost. Finding me may be the only good thing to come out of an ugly and incredibly painful break up.
63. Chivalry is not dead. I am treated with great chivalry by all the men I know and even don't know. I think it is because I expect to be treated that way and somehow those expectations are projected.
64. I am a very girly girl.
65. I wear sunscreen. Every day. Without fail.
66. I love make up.
67. My body is my canvas.
68. Someday I will visit India.
69. I believe in reincarnation.
70. I am a spiritual person, but do not subscribe to any particular religion.
71. If it sparkles, I will be attracted to it.
72. Silver looks better on me than gold. Platinum looks best.
73. Amethyst is my favorite gemstone.
74. Chanel 5 is my scent of choice.
75. Bleu Cheese is my favorite.
76. I love spicy foods.
77. I am searching for a good Turkish restaurant – hopefully close to home.
78. I have read the complete works of Shakespeare.
79. Public speaking does not scare me.
80. Scooby Doo is my favorite cartoon.
81. NPR is what I listen to when I drive.
82. Right now I am enjoying exploring Chilean wines.
83. I love single malt Scotch. 12 years or older.
84. Sometimes watching the news makes me cry.
85. I vote.
86. I like to slice up fruit before I eat it.
87. I am a member of the Huntington Library. I love walking through the gardens.
88. I prefer having a plan to flying by the seat of my pants.
89. I want to be married, but the idea of planning a wedding makes my stomach churn.
90. Often I feel like my life mirrors the movie When Harry Met Sally.
91. I love chick flicks.
92. I work from home. Nothing beats working in my flannel pj’s.
93. I believe excellence is a choice, and I choose to excel.
94. I am interested.
95. People tell me that I am easy to talk to, to confide in.
96. I think I will live to be 100.
97. I believe in love at first sight.
98. I believe in soul mates.
99. I believe that magic exists.
100. I believe that my dreams will come true.
Until Next Time...